Erik made it!
In case you haven’t been following the blog, MultiCoach took on a complete novice paddler, Erik Klootwyk, and got him to the end goal of completing the 22km PennyPinchers Plett Easter Surf Ski Race.
This was no small feat, and I think Erik has learnt how tough paddling, especially Surf Ski paddling truly is. The basic outline of his program was:
- Learn correct paddling technique on a paddling ergometer, then on the water.
- Do some strength tests to see where he was physically.
- Start basic core strengthening
- complete a 10km paddle on his own in the sea
- Increase his overall distance to a 12km paddle
- Do some interva sessions
- Keep practicing his technique
- Increase his core strength
- Do a 16km paddle
- More intervals
- More core
- More technique
- Practice through the river mouth
- Last interval session
- Practice surf skills
- Finalise race day prep-juice bag, life jacket etc
A great ski, stable enough for Erik to learn quickly, and still fast enough for him to enjoy the paddling!
Normally I would never advise anyone to attempt such a crazy mission, however: Erik is a healthy and FIT person, who cycles regularly and competitively. We built him up distance wise, as safely as we could while still keeping it a pretty steep incline! We also made sure he was strengthening his lower back and shoulders to cope with the demands of paddling on his body. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT THE HELP AND GUIDANCE OF A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL. A 3 month build up is much safer (and wiser!)
Here’s a shot of the tired but happy athlete with his very happy and proud coach: